Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund
As part of the federal Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund, Excel Academy has been allocated funds to address (1) COVID prevention and mitigation strategies, (2) loss of instructional time with evidence-based interventions, (3) academic, social, emotional, and mental health needs of all students, especially those disproportionately impacted by the pandemic, and (4) other allowable expenditures. The linked implementation plan reflects the materials submitted in Excel Academy’s application for funds to the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education in late 2021. Please note that Excel Academy may participate in a plan amendment process to modify our planned use of funds over the next three years as the needs of students, staff, and the pandemic further evolve. Questions may be sent to email@example.com or to Excel’s Chief Financial Officer.
Excel Academy Charter School Family/Guardian Involvement Policy
With the interest of student achievement in mind, we have developed the following Parent Involvement Policy. The goal of this policy is to provide parents with the information, resources, and opportunities necessary to support their students and to monitor their progress.
Development and Review
As a matter of policy, we will review this Parent Involvement Policy each year. We will also request recommendations for revisions from parents and guardians annually.
School Policy: Parental Input
At the beginning of each school year, the school will oversee the organization of parent councils or groups for input. The councils or groups will be open to participation from all parents and guardians of children attending the school and will meet regularly. The councils will provide parents with the opportunity to plan and participate in school-wide events as well as provide parents with the opportunity to provide input and feedback on important school policies.
Keeping Parents Informed and Involved
In order to ensure that parents have the information necessary to monitor the performance of their students, the school will take the following measures each year:
- Distribute a Student and Family Handbook to each newly enrolled family describing school policies and procedures in organized and detailed fashion, and annually providing an “Acknowledgement of Access to Handbook” form to all families to verify the availability and location of the Student and Family Handbook
- Conduct mandatory orientation sessions prior to the start of each school year for new students and their families. During these orientation sessions, a representative of the school will review the most important elements of the Student and Family Handbook with new families;
- Provide a regularly distributed progress report;
- Provide parents the opportunity to meet and confer with each of their child’s teachers during parent conference sessions scheduled following the issuance of each of the report cards; and
- Provide parents with the telephone extensions and email addresses of each of their child’s teachers and pledge that all telephone calls received by the school by the close of the school day will be returned within 24 hours.
ALL new parents sign the Contract of Responsibility in conjunction with a school representative. The compact will be reviewed each year in conjunction with parents.
Parents Right To Know
Parents and Guardians are informed that they have the right to know:
- Whether the teacher has met state qualification and licensing criteria for the grade levels and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction;
- Whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or other provisional status through which state qualification or licensing criteria have been waived;
- The baccalaureate degree major of the teacher and any other graduate certification or degree held by the teacher, including the field of discipline of the certification or degree; and
- Whether the child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications.
DESE Tiered Focused Monitoring
Excel is participating in DESE Focused Tier Monitoring in January 2020. Press releases can be viewed here in Spanish & English.
Excel Academy’s 2022 District Report Card Released
Every year, each public school district in Massachusetts receives a report card. Just as your child’s report card shows how they are doing in different subjects, the school’s report card is designed to show families how our school is doing in different areas.
Excel Academy’s 2022 report card is available here
Additional Reading in Spanish & English to help understand the report card.
Please note when viewing the report card that the information reported is the same for Excel Academy as a school and as a district. The report card provides multiple measures of school performance, including information on student achievement, teacher qualifications, and student learning opportunities.
To find out more information about our school report card:
- If you have questions about our school’s report card or would like to request information about the qualifications of your child’s classroom teacher, please contact Stevie Roberts, Managing Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (617) 819-5542.
- To see our district’s report card or to search for other schools’ report cards, visit doe.mass.edu.
If your child attends a school that receives federal Title I funds, you also have the right to request the following information about the qualifications of your child’s classroom teachers:
- Whether your child’s teacher is licensed in the grade levels and subject areas they teach.
- Whether your child’s teacher is teaching under an emergency license or waiver.
- The college degree and major of your child’s teacher.
- Whether your child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications.
Past Year Report Cards
The Massachusetts Department of Elementary & Secondary Education conducts regular reviews of Excel Academy’s program to ensure the school’s compliance with state and federal laws and regulations. The results from such reviews will be provided upon request. Please contact Jocelyn Foulke at email@example.com to request this information.
- Excel Academy Charter School 2020 Report Card Overview
- Excel Academy Charter School 2019 Report Card Overview
- Excel Academy Charter School 2018 Report Card Overview
- Excel Academy Charter School 2017 Report Card Overview
- Excel Academy Charter School 2016 Report Card Overview
- Excel Academy Charter School 2015 Report Card Overview